Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Reading Notes: The Jatakas part B

As I continued to read the Jatakas tales, I was happy to understand more and read more and more bout them. They are some of the most interesting tales and they have great fun and wisdom inside each of them. One of my favorite stories that I got to read in part of the stories was the Patient Buffalo. This story was so good to me because one, I love buffalos. Also because it shows the patients and the resolve of the Buddhist people. I believe that this story is filled with wisdom of how to treat yourself and how to treat others. Knowing that Buddhist are people of no desire, and that desire itself is a bad thing. Seeing how the buffalo did not desire anything for himself but only to not cause this monkey harm was his priority. And with his patients to this monkey he was able to find peace through the magic fairy. Another tell that I really enjoyed was the Sarabha. I enjoyed this story so much because it was a lot like one of the stories that I used in my storybook project, the Banyan Deer. I liked the was that the deer talked to the king, having been able to communicate with humans just like in the other stories. I liked this story because the Deer spoke with the king and was able to connive the king to not hunt in the forest again. This is just like the story that I used in my storybook project (though i retold it so much better,,,). This was truly a great story to get to read and i really enjoyed getting to read something similar to what I already knew. I have loved getting to read the Jatakas because of the wisdom and the fun stories that are in them. They are filled with greatness in each story and I always look forward to reading more of them. I will probably be reading more of these stories as we finish out the rest of the semester. 

Buffalo & Monkey





Title: Twenty Jataka Tales
Author: Noor Inayat (Khan)
Illustrator: H. Willebeek Le Mair
Year: 1939

No comments:

Post a Comment